Breakfast is the absolute most important meal of the day. Even when I was a stressed out, extremely tired Special Education teacher that got up at the CRACK of dawn, I made time for breakfast. You have to fuel your day. No excuses, no one is too busy.
We need to talk. Why are people scared of adding flavor to their eggs!? A breakfast taco should never be perfectly yellow, crusty and flavorless eggs. Yes, the color will change when you add all these spices below, but you HAVE to try it. It’s so satisfying to have huge amounts of flavor in every bite of something, especially breakfast or brunch. I discovered how flavorful eggs can be when we took our honey moon in Mexico. Each breakfast buffet is lined with sauces, spices, peppers, and all kinds of herbs to wake your tastebuds up first thing in the morning. I wanted a quick way to recreate the flavor of Mexico at home. These are FAST, easy and a constant favorite in my house. They are a great brunch item alongside a mimosa or bloody Mary, and we even make them for dinner when I have ZERO patience for cooking (yes, it happens to me too!).
This recipe makes enough for 4 smaller breakfast tacos (enough for two per person)
- 4 Small corn tortillas (flour tortillas are a travesty.)
- 3 Pieces bacon, chopped small
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Half and Half (or any nut milk, heavy cream, milk you have)
- 1/4 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 TBSP fresh cilantro + more for topping your taco if desired
- 1 Teaspoon salsa + more for topping your taco
- Optional (but STRONGLY suggested): queso fresco or your favorite cheese, avocado or fresh guacamole, limes to squeeze over the top.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and chop your bacon. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until the fat is rendered and the bacon becomes crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and let it drain on a paper towel lined plate while you make your eggs. Turn the pan down to LOW.
2. Pour off the extra bacon grease, but don’t clean the pan. Return the pan to stove and make your egg mixture. In a small bowl, crack in your eggs. Add onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Add 1 Tablespoon half and half (or heavy cream, milk, almond milk).
3. To the egg mixture add 1 Teaspoon your favorite salsa (I love trader joes because there aren’t any weird ingredients, its sugar free and its really smooth). Add the chopped cilantro. Whisk VERY well until the spices are all combined and the eggs are nicely scrambled.
4. Slowly pour the egg mixture into your skillet, stirring gently with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. Continuously stir and scramble until they are halfway done and set. Add the bacon back in and continue stirring. Don’t be alarmed at the color- I’m telling you you’re just used to tasteless eggs. Stick with me, kid.
5. When your eggs are done, remove the pan from heat and begin assembling your tacos. This is totally a personal preference, but I scoop a small amount of guacamole onto each tortilla and spread it out thinly. Add a few spoonfuls of the bacon/egg mixture, then top with a drizzle of salsa, a few crumbles of queso fresco and tear off a few pieces of fresh cilantro. You can also squeeze a tiny bit of fresh lime juice over the top if you have any.
Finished! You can serve these by themselves, with some roasted potato, some black beans, or some sweet potato strings like I did here. These are also phenomenal with some crumbled Chorizo instead of bacon, or topped with some sweet fresh tomatoes or Pico de Gallo.
Remember to pin this recipe to save it for later, or comment when you’ve tried! Follow me on Instagram and Facebook to show me your takes on my recipes.