This little skillet is a super filling breakfast for one, two, or add more eggs or more potato to feed a crowd. You can throw in an onion and some hearty greens like kale or spinach, or its perfect in its simplicity like I make it below.
This needs to bake in the oven for 9 minutes which is long enough for the whites to set perfectly, and for the yolk to be a little runny and jammy. It takes maybe 5 minutes to assemble and get the ingredients ready so this is a perfect weekday breakfast, weeknight dinner with a side salad, or just a good way to start a Saturday morning.
To keep this breakfast whole 30 compliant (Gluten free, dairy free, grain free, no added sugar etc) Make sure you use a clean oil like Avocado oil or coconut oil to toss your potatoes in, and use a nitrate/nitrite and SUGAR FREE bacon. *most bacon has evaporated cane sugar as an ingredient-watch for that. My favorite brand of bacon thats whole 30 compliant is called Pedersons and you can find it at Whole Foods or in the natural section of your Grocery store. If you aren’t trying to be whole30, by all means pick your favorite bacon. I prefer any brand, center cut and low sodium.
I use a julienne peeler to shred my sweet potato into little strings, you can use a spiralizer if you are fancy, or if you’d rather they now have sweet potato spirals prepackaged in almost every grocery store in the produce section. You’ll obviously spend more than if you cut it up yourself, but if you are too busy- go on with your bad self and buy them. They are from a company called Veggie Noodle Co.
Ingredients: Serves one or two
- 1 Small Sweet potato (or prepackaged sweet potato spirals)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 pieces bacon
- 1 Teaspoon Avocado Oil or Coconut oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- Peel the outer skin off of your entire sweet potato. Using your julienne peeler or spiralizer, shred your entire sweet potato and place in a microwave safe bowl. Add the avocado or coconut oil, the salt and pepper and stir to combine. Microwave to cook the potatoes for 2 minutes on high. *if you are using the prepackaged, follow their microwave instructions and toss in seasonings. Set aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees. In a small 8 to 10 inch oven safe NONSTICK skillet, heat to medium high. Chop two pieces bacon and cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp-about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the skillet and chop into fine bits. Set aside.
3. In the skillet, add the sweet potato. Stir, cooking for a few seconds then spread into an even layer. Add the bacon back into the skillet, sprinkling to distribute it evenly. Using a spoon or silicone spatula, make small holes or divots in the sweet potato mixture. This is where the egg will sit and bake into the potato. Crack in your eggs.
4. Turn your stove off, and place the entire skillet in the oven. Bake for exactly 9 minutes. When you take it out, the potatoes will be sort of brown around the edges, the bacon will be more crisp, and the egg whites will be shiny but firm.
5. I sprinkle mine with some fresh parsley for a little color and freshness. You can serve these with a big spoon and when you take an egg out, the potato will come with it.
This is EASY, way harder than it looks and always turns out pretty. The slight sweetness of the potato and the smoky bacon are perfect with the silky egg. Enjoy my friends! Also add whatever you want- make it yours.
Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes- and remember to pin any recipe to save for later!