The names a mouthful-but I sort of had a hodgepodge of stuff in my fridge and decided that twice baked potatoes don’t have to be reserved for Dinner time. Yes, most of my breakfast recipes include sweet potato in some form or fashion, but they are quite literally natures most perfect food. SO many vitamins and minerals, and since i’ve finally developed a semi normal workout routine, I’ve notice that a breakfast that includes sweet potato really gives me the energy I need.
I always do twice baked or stuffed sweet potatoes for dinner, but adding an egg of top makes it a totally perfect breakfast.
This is one of those not really a recipe, recipes. If you hate what I put in it, try your own stuff. You could throw in any protein, or make it totally vegetarian with maybe some caramelized onion, sundried tomatoes etc. If you don’t want an egg on top, leave it off and top with sliced grilled chicken, some skirt steak and a squeeze of lime, the possibilities are endless.
Ingredients: (This was for my husband and I so it works best for two people)
- 1 small to medium sweet potato per person
- 2 eggs (if desired for topping) We fried ours, you could do poached, scrambled etc.
- 4 Pieces bacon
- A small handful of cilantro (about 1/4 cup chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon of my Perfect Baked French Fries seasoning. (Season salt, chili powder, cumin, black pepper) About 1/4 of each if you are making it for this recipe. Stir together to combine.
- 1/2 Teaspoon of your favorite green salsa (I used a spicy/creamy tomatillo salsa from our local taco place)
- Crumbled Queso Fresco, about 1/3 cup
- Bake your sweet potatoes. Typically, they take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on their size. Mine were small, a little smaller than the length of my hand from palm to fingertip- so they took less time. About 25 minutes on 400 degrees. ALWAYS clean and dry the skin, then poke several holes in the skin with a fork to let the steam escape. You can brush the outside with avocado oil to help crisp up the skin. I lightly salt the outside of mine and bake them on a nonstick foil lined baking sheet. *If you want to speed up the baking time, prick the skin in several places and microwave for 3 minutes before you place in the oven. This sort of precooks the sweet potato from the inside out.
- While the potatoes are baking, place a skillet on medium high heat. Slice your bacon into small pieces and throw into a skillet to crisp up. Cook until the fat is rendered and the pieces are nice and crispy. Transfer to a cutting board and chop up really fine.
3. Chop up your cilantro, then using a fork crumble up your queso fresco. Set aside.
4. When the potatoes are soft in the middle (test this by squeezing or sticking a knife in the middle-if it meets with little resistance your potato is finished). Take them out of the oven and CAREFULLY slice down the length of the potato, opening it to let the steam escape. I have hands of steel when it comes to heat, you may need to use oven mitts or a dish towel to help you squeeze the potato open.
5. Using a fork or spoon, scrape out the insides of the sweet potato leaving a thin layer to help hold the skin together. Place the insides of the potato in a nearby mixing bowl. Repeat until all of your potatoes are cleaned out.
6. Mix in ALL of your toppings, the bacon, the cilantro, the spice mixture, the queso fresco, the salsa. Mix thoroughly with a fork so that each bite has a little bacon, a little cheese and a lot of spice.
7. Place your potatoes back on the baking sheet and stuff them with all of the filling. You can pack the filling down gently to get it all in the potatoes.
8. Place them back in the oven (still on 400 Degrees) for 6-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are warm enough for you. Transfer to a plate.
9. Top with your favorite style of egg (we did fried) Scrambled would be good, poached would be amazing, hard boiled would be great or just eat it plain.
For perfect poached eggs: Easiest Poached Eggs
For perfect boiled eggs: Perfect Boiled Eggs
Enjoy this one friends, its really easy to customize your different flavors, whatever you have in your fridge, and its a great way to use up leftovers.