I stole the spice mix from my Homeade Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets and wondered how the classic flavors would taste as a quick rub on a grilled chicken breast. SO GOOD. It reminds me of a classic grilled chicken you would get at a steakhouse or at any one of those famous chain restaurants like Chilis, BJ’s etc.
This has become one of our favorite meals with a side of two veggies and is particularly good with my Creamy Garlic Cauliflower Puree and some Kale chips. It also tastes delicious and flavorful cold on top of a salad (one of my fave meals to take to work.)
This is a great way to add a new flavor to your chicken if you’re getting bored with the same ole flavors.
I have to warn you that these pictures are ugly- this is a messy process, but the end result tastes SO good. Its quickly become a favorite around here.
If you aren’t super confident around a grill- this would be just as delicious baked in an oven on 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Ingredients: Enough for two Large chicken breasts
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 Teaspoons Onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil or Olive Oil
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices. Use a whisk or fork to stir really well and get out any lumps before you add the oil. Add your Avocado or Olive oil and whisk until the mixture becomes a paste like consistency.
2. On a clean plate, place two boneless skinless chicken breasts. Pat them dry on both sides with a paper towel to let the rub adhere better. Using your hands, rub the chicken all over, on both the tops and the bottoms and the sides with the rub. Continue on both chicken breasts until you have used all of your spice mixture.
3. Wash your hands and cover the plate with plastic wrap, placing it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before grilling. (you could let it sit on the chicken longer if you like, probably anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours.) Take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit covered on the counter for 10 minutes before placing it on the grill (ice cold meat NEVER grills properly-this will take the chill off.) Your grill should be preheated to about 350-375. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 18-20 minutes, flipping only once.
4. Remove the chicken from the grill and cover lightly with foil. Let it rest for a full 5 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute. Your rub will be slightly charred in places- and will have a delicious flavor that goes with ANYTHING.
Enjoy this one guys! Boneless skinless chicken breasts get a bad rap- but they’re so good for you and this recipe is totally gluten free/dairy free. I can assure you this recipe is anything BUT flavorless.