File this one under: Meal Prep Staple.
These are fantastic whether you are braving Whole30 or not. A simple, satisfying and healthy breakfast that you can make on a Sunday and have throughout the week, using whatever veggies or proteins you have on hand. You can use just egg whites, but the yolks are SO full of good nutrients, and if you are on the whole 30, you know the importance of packing as much as you can into each meal.
- 5 tbsp coconut milk (or compliant almond milk)
- 1 small shredded sweet potato
- 4 pieces compliant bacon (Pedersons Farms sugar free, nitrate free is the easiest to find for Whole30) HEB, Whole Foods, etc.
- 1/4 white onion diced
- 2 tbsp salsa or hot sauce
Recipe: 25-30 minutes, makes 11 mini Frittatas
- Peel your sweet potato, removing the skin. I shred mine with a tiny little (inexpensive tool) called a julienne peeler so that it makes thin ribbons almost like noodles. Steam the potatoes in the mircowave for 2 minutes at a time, stirring until they are soft, but not mushy (usually takes about 5 minutes.)
2. Heat a skillet to medium high heat, add 4 pieces bacon and cook until crisp. Remove from skillet and add onion directly to bacon fat, cooking until slightly brown around the edges, and soft. Remove and set aside.
3. Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl or pyrex measuring cup (for easy pouring) crack in 8 eggs. Add coconut milk, salsa, and cooked bacon and onion. Beat until well combined.
4. Place a few spoonfuls of the shredded sweet potato into the bottom of a muffin tin (I line mine with these red silicone cups, heat proof and dishwasher safe, because I’m lazy and they’re nonstick.) Pour the egg mixture on top of the sweet potatoes, making sure to leave a tiny bit of space at the top so they don’t spill over.
5. Bake on 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden brown and the center of each fritatta is set and no longer liquid. I keep these in a tightly sealed container in the fridge ALL Week, and mircowave one or two in the morning. They are the perfect filling way to start the day with some avocado or salsa on the side.
If you arent doing the Whole 30, add WHATEVER you want. I’ve made these with spinach, bacon and Feta- some leftover brisket and some cheddar, anything and everything is good. Enjoy these friends, we deserve to feed ourselves more than nutritionless cereal in the morning.